|Scientific Assistant to the President/
Director of Drug Discovery
||772.345.4582 - phone
772.345.3649 - fax
Dr. Welmaker is an experienced medicinal chemist having worked in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industry for over 15 years. During this time, he led teams in both the early and late stages of drug discovery. At Torrey Pines Institute, he continues to utilize these experiences to help identify new compounds suitable for advancement into human clinical trials.
- 2009 – Masters of Business Administration, (Pharmaceutical Management), Lebow College of Business, Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- 1992 – Doctor of Philosophy (Organic Chemistry), Department of Chemistry, The University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina (mentor: Prof. James A. Marshall)
- 1988 – Bachelor of Science (Chemistry), Cum laude, Furman University, Greenville, South Carolina
- April 2011 – Present
- Director of Drug Discovery, Torrey Pines Institute for Molecular Studies, Port St. Lucie, Florida
- Feb 2010 – Present
- Scientific Assistant to the President, Torrey Pines Institute for Molecular Studies, Port St. Lucie, Florida
- Jan 1993 – Feb 1995
- American Cancer Society Postdoctoral Fellow, The University of California-Irvine, Irvine, California (mentor: Prof. Larry E. Overman)
- Jan 2004 – Jan 2010, Principal Research Scientist, Wyeth Research, Collegeville, Pennsylvania
- Feb 2002 – Dec 2003, Senior Research Scientist II, Wyeth Research, Collegeville, Pennsylvania
- Jan 1999 – Feb 2002, Senior Research Scientist I, Wyeth Research, Princeton, New Jersey
- Apr 1996 – Dec 1998, Research Scientist III, Wyeth Research, Princeton, New Jersey
- Mar 1995 – Mar 1996, Senior Research Scientist, Ariad Pharmaceuticals, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Member, American Chemical Society
Honors & Awards
- Beta Gamma Sigma International Honor Society, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA, March 2009
- Chemical & Screening Sciences Above and Beyond Award, Wyeth Research, Collegeville, PA, December 2006
- Chemical & Screening Sciences Above and Beyond Award, Wyeth Research, Collegeville, PA, December 2004
- American Cancer Society Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of California, Irvine, January 1993-December 1994
- Division of Organic Chemistry Graduate Fellowship, sponsored by Glaxo Research Labs, University of South Carolina, Columbia, September 1991-August 1992
- Ethyl Corporation Fellowship, University of South Carolina, Columbia, August 1988-May 1989
- American Institute of Chemists Award, Furman University, May 1988
- Best Paper in Organic Chemistry II, First Annual National Conference on Undergraduate Research, Asheville, NC, April 1987
- Camille and Henry Dreyfus General Excellence Scholarship, Furman University, September 1987-June 1988
- National Science Foundation Summer Fellowship, Furman University, June-August 1987
Selected Publications (10 of 17)
- “The Aza-Cope-Mannich Reaction” Overman, Larry E.; Humphreys, Philip G.; Welmaker, Gregory S. Organic Reactions, 2011, 75, 747-820.
- “A microwave-assisted, green procedure for the synthesis of N-aryl sulfonyl and N-aryl pyrroles” Wilson, Matthew A.; Filzen, Gary; Welmaker, Gregory S. Tetrahedron Lett. 2009, 50, 4807-10.
- “A Small Molecule Inhibitor of the Wnt Antagonist Secreted Frizzled-Related Protein-1 Stimulates Bone Formation” Bodine, Peter; Stauffer, Barb; Ponce-de-Leon, Helga; Bhat, Ramesh; Mangine, Annamarie; Seestahler-Wehr, Laura; Moran, Robert; Billiard, Julia; Fukayama, Shoichi; Komm, Barry; Pitts, Keith; Krishnamurthy, Girija; Gopalsamy, Ariamala; Shi, Mengxiao; Kern, Jeffrey C.; Commons, Thomas J.; Woodworth, Richard; Wilson, Matthew; Welmaker, Gregory S.; Trybulski, Eugene J.; Moore, William J. Bone 2009, 44, 1063-1068.
- “Modulation of Wnt signaling through inhibition of secreted frizzled-related protein I (sFRP-1) with N-substituted piperidinyl diphenylsulfonyl sulfonamides” Moore, William J.; Kern, Jeffrey C.; Bhat, Ramesh; Commons, Thomas J.; Fukayama, Shoichi; Goljer, Igor; Krishnamurthy, Girija; Magolda, Ronald L.; Nogle, Lisa; Pitts, Keith; Stauffer, Barb; Trybulski, Eugene J.; Welmaker, Gregory S.; Wilson, Matthew; Bodine, Peter V. N. J. Med. Chem. 2009, 52, 105-116.
- “Antiobesity-like effects of the 5-HT2C receptor agonist WAY-161503” Rosenzweig-Lipson, Sharon; Zhang, Jean; Mazandarani, Hossein; Harrison, Boyd L.; Sabb, Annmarie; Sabalski, Joan; Stack, Gary; Welmaker, Greg; Barrett, James E.; Dunlop, John Brain Res. 2006, 1073-1074, 240-251.
- “A process for the preparation of 1,2,3,4,8, 9,10,10a-octahydro-7bH-cyclopenta[b][1,4]diazepino-[6,7,1-hi]indole” Welmaker, Gregory S. and Sabalski, Joan E. Tetrahedron Lett. 2004, 45, 4851.
- “Synthesis and 5-Hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) Activity of 2,3,4,4a-Tetrahydro-1H-Pyrazino[1,2-a]Quinoxalin-5-(6H)Ones and 2,3,4,4a,5,6-Hexahydro-1H-Pyrazino[1,2-a]Quinoxalines” Welmaker, Gregory S.; Nelson, James A.; Sabalski, Joan E.; Sabb, Annmarie L.; Potoski, John R.; Graziano, Denise; Kagan, Michael; Coupet, Joseph; Dunlop, John; Mazandarani, Hossein; Rosenzweig-Lipson, Sharon; Sukoff, Stacey; Zhang, Yingxin Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 2000, 10, 1991.
- “Mannich Bis-Cyclizations. Total Synthesis of (–)-Ajmalicine.” Lögers, Michael; Overman, Larry E.; Welmaker, Gregory S. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1995, 117, 9139.
- “Enantioselective Synthesis of (+)- and (–)-Muricatacin through SE2' Addition of Nonracemic gamma-Silyloxy Allylic Stannanes to Aldehydes” Marshall, James A.; Welmaker, Gregory S. J. Org. Chem. 1994, 59, 4122.
- “A Simple, Efficient Preparation of 1,1-Bis(trimethylsiloxy)-1,3-butadiene” Welmaker, Gregory S. Org. Prep. Proc. Int. 1993, 25, 595.
(5 of 26 US issued patents; also 31 published US patents and 14 WO patents)
- “Benzofurans as potassium ion channel modulators” Welmaker, Gregory S.; Wilson, Matthew A.; McFarlane, Geraldine; Sabalski, Joan E.; Butera, John A.; Trybulski, Eugene J.; Herbst, David R. US (2009), 56 pp. US 7601856 B2 20091013
- “Tetracyclic indoles as potassium channel modulators” Wilson, Matthew A.; Welmaker, Gregory S.; Trybulski, Eugene J.; Butera, John A.; Magolda, Ronald L. US (2010), 47 pp. US 7662831 B2 20100216
- “Heteroaryl, heterocyclic and aryl compounds which inhibit leukocyte adhesion mediated by VLA-4” Konradi, Andrei W.; Pleiss, Michael A.; Thorsett, Eugene D.; Ashwell, Susan; Welmaker, Gregory S.; Kreft, Anthony; Sarantakis, Dimitrios; Dressen, Darren B.; Grant, Francine S.; Semko, Christopher; Xu, Ying-Zi US (2008), 78 pp. US 7378529 B2 20080527
- “Process for the preparation of 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 10, 10a-octahydro-7bh-cyclopenta[b] [1, 4]diazepino[6, 7, 1-hi]indole derivatives” Welmaker, Gregory S.; Sabalski, Joan E.; Smith, Michael D. US (2006), 13 pp. US 7141563 B2 20061128
- “Process for preparation of cyclopenta[b][1,4]diazepino[6,7,1-hi]indole derivatives” Welmaker, Gregory S.; Sabalski, Joan E. U.S. (2002), 10 pp. US 6414144 B1 20020702