Mr. Giulianotti’s research focuses on identifying potential human therapeutics and diagnostics as well as agricultural treatments. The research group combines novel approaches in combinatorial chemistry, computer-aided drug design and mathematics. The research group is currently involved in a number of different interdisciplinary projects with internal and external collaborators focusing in areas such as pain management, cancer, obesity, stroke and citrus greening.
Marc Giulianotti earned his Bachelor of Science in Chemistry and Biochemistry from the University of California, San Diego in 1995 and his Masters in Business Administration from San Diego State University in 2001. Marc joined the Torrey Pines Institute as a Research Associate in 1995 and his research focused on design of novel combinatorial libraries. He held this position until 2001 and then became the Business Development Manager for Mixture Sciences, Inc., a Torrey Pines spin-off company. Marc was tapped as Director of Chemistry Operations for the Torrey Pines Institute's Florida base in June 2007.
- 2001: Master of Business Administration (Information Technology), San Diego State University, San Diego, CA
- 1995: Bachelor of Science (Chemistry/Bio-chemistry), University of California, San Diego, San Diego, CA
- 2007 - Present:Director of Chemistry Operations, Torrey Pines Institute for Molecular Studies, Port St Lucie, Florida
- 2001 - 2007:Business Development Manager, Mixture Sciences, Inc., San Diego, California
- 1995 - 2001:Research Associate, Torrey Pines Institute for Molecular Studies, San Diego, California
Marc Giulianotti directs a team of scientists that develops novel chemistry methods, including combinatorial and computation chemistry, for rapidly identifying lead compounds and clinical candidates for a variety of indications such as pain management, cancer, central nervous system disorders, and HIV/AIDS.
Selected Publications (15 most recent out of 70 total)
- Wu, J. W.; Zhang, Y.; Maida, L. E.; Santos R. G.; Welmaker, G. S.; LaVoi, T. M.; Nefzi, A.; Yu, Y.; Houghten, R. A.; Toll, L.; Giulianotti, M. A. Scaffold ranking and positional scanning utilized in the discovery of nAChR-selective compounds suitable for optimization studies. J.Med.Chem 2013(http://dx.doi.org/1021/jm401543h).
- Santos R, Giulianotti MA, Houghten RA, Medina-Franco JL. Conditional Probabilistic Analysis for Prediction of the Activity Landscape and Relative Compound Activities. J. Chem. Inf. Model. 53 (2013) 2613-2625. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ci400243e; PMID23971977; PMC3850180).
- Martinez-Mayorga K, Byler KG, Yongye AB, Giulianotti MA, Dooley CT, Houghten RA. Ligand/kappa-opioid receptor interactions: Insights from the X-ray crystal structure. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 66 (2013) 114-121 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmech.2013.05.021; PMID23792349; PMC3775475).
- Debevec G, Chen W, Yu Y, Houghten RA, Giulianotti MA. Libraries from libraries: a series of sulfonamide linked heterocycles derived from the same scaffold. Tetrahedron Lett. 54 (2013) 4296-4299 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tetlet.2013.06.003; PMC3867824; PMCPMC3867824).
- Stawikowska R, Cudic M, Giulianotti M, Houghten RA, Fields GB, Minond D. Activity of a disintegrin and metalloprotease 17 (ADAM17) is Regulated by its non-catalytic domains and secondary structure of its substrates. J. Biol. Chem. 288 (2013) 22871-22879 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M113.462267; PMID23779109; PMC3829370).
- Pinilla C, Edwards BS, Appel JR, Yate-Gibbins T, Giulianotti MA, Medina-Franco JL, Young SM, Santos RG, Sklar LA, Houghten RA. Selective agonists and antagonists of formylpeptide receptors: duplex flow cytometry and mixture-based positional scanning libraries. Molecular Pharmacology 2013, 84:314-324. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1124/mol.113.086595).
- Falta MT, Pinilla C, Mack DG, Tinega AN, Crawford F, Giulianotti M, Santos R, Clayton GM, Wang Y, Zhang X, Maier LA, Marrack P, Kappler JW, Fontenot AP. Identification of beryllium-dependent peptides recognized by CD4+ T cells in chronic beryllium disease. J. Exp. Med 210 (2013) 1403-1418 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1084/jem.20122426; PMC3698527; PMID23797096).
- Hu M, Huang W, Giulianotti MA, Houghten RA, Yu Y. Parallel Synthesis of 1,6-Disubstituted-1,2,4-triazin-3-ones on Solid-Phase ACS Comb.Sci. 2013, 15, 335-339 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/co400064d).
- Medina JL, Edwards BS, Pinilla C, Appel JR, Giulianotti MA, Santos RG, Yongye AB, Sklar LA, Houghten RA. Rapid Scanning Structure–Activity Relationships in Combinatorial Data Sets: Identification of Activity Switches. J. Chem. Inf. Model., 2013 53 (6), 1475-1485. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ci400192y; PMC3715655; PMID23705689).
- Chen WT, Shao JA, Hu M, Yu WW, Giulianotti MA, Houghten RA, Yu YP, A traceless approach to amide and peptide construction from thioacids and dithiocarbamate-terminal amines. Chemical Sciences 2013 4(3) 970-976. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/C2SC21317F).
- Santos RG, Appel JR, Giulianotti MA, Edwards BS, Sklar LA, Houghten RA, Pinilla C. The mathematics of a successful deconvolution: A quantitative assessment of mixture-based combinatorial libraries screened against two formylpeptide receptors. Molecules 2013, 18, 6408-6424 (http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/molecules18066408).
- Wu B, Zhang Z, Noberini R, Barile E, Giulianotti M, Pinilla C, Houghten RA, Pasquale EB, Pellechia M. HTS by NMR of combinatorial libraries: A fragment-based approach to ligand discovery. Chemistry & Biology 2013 20, 19-33 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chembiol.2012.10.015).
- Giulianotti, M. A.; Debevec, G.; Santos, R. G.; Maida, L. E.; Chen, W.; Ou, L.; Yu, Y.; Dooley, C. T.; Houghten, R. A. A Novel Method for the Determination of Isokinetic Ratios and Its Application in the Synthesis of Two New Positional Scanning Libraries. ACS Combinatorial Science 2012. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/co300060s; PMID:22913403; PMC3825827).
- Minond, D.; Cudic, M.; Bionda, N.; Giulianotti, M.; Maida, L.; Houghten, R. A.; Fields, G. B. Discovery of Novel Inhibitors of A Disintegrin And Metalloprotease 17 (ADAM17) Using Glycosylated and Non-Glycosylated Substrates. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 2012. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M112.389114; PMC3476313; PMID22927435).
- Lopez-Vallejo, F.; Giulianotti, M. A.; Houghten, R. A.; Medina-Franco, J. L. Expanding the medicinally relevant chemical space with compound libraries. Drug Discovery Today 2012, 17, 718-726. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.drudis.2012.04.001).