My research interest focuses on the development of new methodologies for the synthesis of bioactive compounds, particularly cyclic peptides and heterocyclic compounds. I am also interested in developing novel ‘volatilizable’ supports for organic synthesis. My current research interest is total synthesis of natural cyclic peptides (cyclic depsipeptides) and their analogs for targeting different diseases including bacteria resistance, cancer, inflammation, and pain.
- October 2009 – Senior Scientist, Torrey Pines Institute for Molecular Studies, Port St. Lucie, Florida
- March 2007 – September 2009, Postdoctoral Fellow, Torrey Pines Institute for Molecular Studies, Port St. Lucie, Florida & San Diego, California
- October 2005 – October 2007, Postdoctoral Fellow, College of Pharmaceutical Science, Zhejiang University, China
- August 1987 – November 2000, Lecturer, Hangzhou Vocational Technology College, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China
- December 2000 – February 2005, Associate Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering, Hangzhou Vocational Technology College, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China
- Member, American Chemical Society
- Member, American Peptide Society
- Member, Sigma Xi Scientific Society
- Member, Chinese Chemical Society
Selected Publications (10 of 24)
- Yangmei Li, Marc Giulianotti, Richard A. Houghten, ‘High Throughput Synthesis of 2,3,6-substituted-5,6-Dihydroimidazo[2,1-b]thiazole Derivatives’ Tetrahedron Letters, 2011, 52, 696-698.
- Jaime A. Misler, Yangmei Li, Margaret E. Cazares, Gina Debevec, Marc A. Giulianott, Richard A, Houghten, Colette T. Dooley, ‘Cyclic Fluorescent Opioid Peptides from a Combinatorial Library’ In Peptides: Building Bridges, Proceedings of the 22nd American Peptide Symposium 2011, San Diego, CA, 354-355 (2011).
- Yangmei Li, Marc Giulianotti, Richard A. Houghten, ‘Macrolactonization of Peptide Thioesters Catalyzed by Imidazole and Its Application in the Synthesis of Kahalalide B and Analogues’ Organic Letters, 2010, 12, 2250-2253.
- Yangmei Li, Marc Giulianotti, Richard A. Houghten, ‘A Facile Approach to the Synthesis of 3,4-Disubstituted-2-Aminothiazolium Derivatives through the Use of A “Volatilizable” Support’, Tetrahedron Letters, 2010, 51, 5637-5639.
- Yangmei Li, Yongping Yu, Marc Giulianotti, Richard A. Houghten, ‘One-pot High Throughput Synthesis of beta-turn Cyclic Peptidomimetics through ‘Volatilizable’ Supports’ The Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2009, 74 (5), 2183–2185.
- Yangmei Li, Marc Giulianotti, Richard A. Houghten, ‘Solid phase synthesis of 2-alkylidene-6-alkyl-imidazo[2,1-b]thiazole-3,5[2H,6H]-dione derivatives’ Tetrahedron Letters, 2009, 50, 5857-5859.
- Yangmei Li, Austin Yongye, Marc Giulionatti, Karina Martinez, Yongping Yu, Richard A. Houghten, ‘Synthesis of Cyclic Peptides through Direct Aminolysis of Peptide Thioesters Catalyzed by Imidazole in Aqueous-Organic Solution’ Journal of Combinatorial Chemistry, 2009, 11, 1066-1072.
- Austin Yongye, Yangmei Li, Marc Giulionatti, Yongping Yu, Richard A. Houghten, Karina Martinez, ‘Modeling of Peptides Containing D-Amino acids: Implications on Cyclization’, Journal of Computer- Aided Molecular Design, 2009, 23, 677-689.
- Yangmei Li, Yongping Yu, Marc Giulianotti, Richard A. Houghten, ‘High Throughput Synthesis of Peptide α-Thioesters Through the Use of ‘Volatilizable’ Support’ Journal of Combinatorial Chemistry, 2008, 10 (5), 613–616.
- Yangmei Li, Yongping Yu, Houghten R. A. Synthesis ‘High throughput parallel synthesis 3, 4 disubstituted 1-(ω-hydroxyalkyl) imidazolin-2-one on volatilizable supports’ Tetrahedron Letters, 2008, 49, 3632-3633.
(5 of 22 US issued patents; also 29 published US patents and 14 WO patents)
- “Benzofurans as potassium ion channel modulators” Welmaker, Gregory S.; Wilson, Matthew A.; McFarlane, Geraldine; Sabalski, Joan E.; Butera, John A.; Trybulski, Eugene J.; Herbst, David R. (2009), 56 pp. US 7601856 B2 20091013
- “Tetracyclic indoles as potassium channel modulators” Wilson, Matthew A.; Welmaker, Gregory S.; Trybulski, Eugene J.; Butera, John A.; Magolda, Ronald L. US (2010), 47 pp. US 7662831 B2 20100216
- “Heteroaryl, heterocyclic and aryl compounds which inhibit leukocyte adhesion mediated by VLA-4” Konradi, Andrei W.; Pleiss, Michael A.; Thorsett, Eugene D.; Ashwell, Susan; Welmaker, Gregory S.; Kreft, Anthony; Sarantakis, Dimitrios; Dressen, Darren B.; Grant, Francine S.; Semko, Christopher; Xu, Ying-Zi US (2008), 78 pp. US 7378529 B2 20080527
- “Process for the preparation of 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 10, 10a-octahydro-7bh-cyclopenta[b] [1, 4]diazepino[6, 7, 1-hi]indole derivatives” Welmaker, Gregory S.; Sabalski, Joan E.; Smith, Michael D. US (2006), 13 pp. US 7141563 B2 20061128
- “Process for preparation of cyclopenta[b][1,4]diazepino[6,7,1-hi]indole derivatives” Welmaker, Gregory S.; Sabalski, Joan E. U.S. (2002), 10 pp. US 6414144 B1 20020702
Honors & Awards
- 2007, First Grade Award of China Postdoctoral Natural Science Foundation, Volatilizable support synthesis of cyclic peptide library and biological evaluation
- 2004, Outstanding Teacher in Hangzhou